There are hundreds of used vehicles available to purchase in Grand Rapids and the surrounding areas. With so many options, it can be difficult to narrow down which is best when you’re ready to purchase your next used car, work truck, minivan, SUV or commercial vehicle. While it may be impossible to avoid all mistakes in life, avoiding these 10 used car buying mistakes can help you feel more confident that you are getting a great deal on a good used vehicle…
1. Not Doing Researching – Before you even begin to shop around, whether online or in person, it’s important to do your homework so you know what type of vehicle will work for you and what options are non-negotiable for your lifestyle. Once you are confident in the kind of vehicle you are looking for (sedan, SUV, van, truck, etc.), you can begin to look for dealerships in your area that carry a large selection or with the options/mileage you are looking for so you can begin to narrow down which ones you want to see in person.
2. Skipping a Test Drive – Test Drives are your chance to feel a vehicle out. How does it handle, how does it sound, how does it feel behind that wheel and on the open road? These are just a few things to consider before buying a used vehicle. Too often, people skip a test drive entirely or they take too short of one. Test how the vehicle feels on a variety of roads and consider if there are blind spots, the ease of getting car seats in and out or if the front seats can sit far enough back to ride comfortably when a car seat is properly in place, how it drives on both the highway and side streets, and even how easy it is to park.
3. Not Shopping Loan Interest Rate – Most people may be completely unaware but many dealerships mark up the interest rate when financing a vehicle for a buyer in-house. While Broadmoor Motors does not profit or mark up loans it handles financing on, in order to know if you are getting the best possible rate available, it’s important to shop around to different credit unions and banks to see what is available and the conditions that are required to secure that rate (new vs. used, credit score, amount borrowed, etc.). Additionally, having an idea of where your credit score stands will help you have a better understanding of what banking institutions you might secure a loan through.
4. Ignoring Online Reviews – Reviews are there to help future customers know how past customers felt about their experience. No business is immune to getting a poor review from time to time from an unreasonable or unruly customer but if you are consistently reading about bad experiences about a specific dealership, buyer beware.
5. Foregoing a Mechanic’s Opinion – While we stand behind our vehicles with a 30 day warranty, we also encourage all of our buyers at Broadmoor Motors to take the vehicle they are considering purchasing to a trusted mechanic for a second opinion about the vehicle’s condition. Foregoing doing that means there may be unpleasant surprises down the road for you and the vehicle.
6. Buying From a Questionable Salesman – Remember those dealership reviews we talked about? They hold true to salesmen as well. At Broadmoor Motors, we are proud to offer our customers a Pressure Free environment to shop with and the integrity of our staff and our customer’s reviews help solidify they felt the same way. If you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about the salesmen you’re working with at a dealership and don’t feel you can trust them, walk away.
7. Leasing Instead of Buying – Leasing a vehicle instead of purchasing may be the best option for some but for the majority of people, it’s a money-losing move. The most common expense incurred from leasing a vehicle has to do with the frequent mileage caps placed on the terms of the lease. Typically, drivers are allotted between 10,000-15,000 miles per year but what drivers may forget is that they will be charged anywhere from 10¢ and 30¢ per mile on the overages! That adds up fast and could mean you end up paying hundreds if not thousands at the end of your lease with no vehicle at the end to show for it. In addition to mileage fees, leaser’s can end up paying for any damage to the vehicle that is considered outside of normal wear and tear. Dealerships have different definitions of what is considered normal and our advice is to find out ahead of time what conditions are being placed on your lease before signing on the dotted line or you could be flipping the bill to have it repaired.
If you find yourself searching for your next used SUV, minvan, truck or car that comes equipped with AWD or 4WD, we invite you to check out our current inventory of Used Trucks, Vans, SUVs and Cars. At Broadmoor Motors, we specialize in finding the right used minivan, truck, SUV or car to fit your personal or business needs, all while giving you the best deal we can on both your purchase and trade in. Our family has been in the car business for over 60 years and continues to be family owned and operated in all of our Caledonia, Hastings and Wayland locations with financing available to those who qualify. We will find you the right vehicle to fit both your budget and your needs in a pressure free environment.
Check out our reviews online and buy with confidence!! Family Owned & Operated and with Financing Available, we stand behind our Vehicles and our Warranty so you can be assured your used Car, Truck, Van or SUV will be reliable! Broadmoor Motors is your local choice for Car Sales in the greater Hastings, Middleville, Caledonia, Grand Rapids, Wayland, Byron Center, Dorr, Hopkins, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Lansing, Lake Odesa, Kentwood, Holland, Zeeland, Moline, Cutlerville, Wyoming, Hudsonville, Grandville, Jenison, Hamilton, Ionia and Allegan. Ask about our BMG Protection Plan, this is not an aftermarket product! area. Let Broadmoor Motors save you time and money when buying your next quality, Pre-Owned Car, Family Minivan, All Wheel Drive SUV, Commercial Van or Work Truck. Whether you need to replace your current car, minivan, truck or SUV with a great used vehicle, we can help you out. Broadmoor Motors is here for all your Car Sales, and Auto Service needs in the Byron Center, Kentwood, Caledonia, Middleville, Hastings, greater Grand Rapids, Wayland and Barry County area. With three locations to serve you in Wayland, Hastings and Caledonia, we’re here for all your Sales & Service needs. Give us a call at 616.698.9595 in Caledonia, 269.397.2400 in Wayland or 269.320.6304 in Hastings to see how we can get you back on the road!